Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ray Bradbury Made Enemies

The venerable sci-fi writer on his religious beliefs at CNN.

What amazes me isn't Bradbury's ideas (He calls himself, appropriately, a delicatessen believer) but how many commentators below the actual article write him off for them, which are very simply universalist views that love is good, lets get along, etc. Oh, and he thanks God.

It is amazing that at the mere mention of "God", any god, so many atheists come out of the woodwork to defend their faith. And yes, I said "their faith", because it takes faith to say there is no God, just as it takes faith to say that there is God.

I won't go into the particulars of that here...that is for another post, and frankly, another bog. The point of this post is to say that seeing the vitriol spewed at Bradbury for proclaiming a very safe, unspecific faith, leaves little doubt in my mind that writing towards a very specific faith-based world-view will draw even more ire. As I plot out the direction of the story I am aiming to write, I think I have to gird myself against this kind of atheism-fueled, zealous faith-based apologetic.

In other words, "Haters Gonna Hate".

No comments:

Post a Comment